Thursday 31 December 2015

Gorkamorka kommishun - an' dere wuz light...

...in more than just one way, actually. Glad I managed to get this post out in less than a month from the previous one. I was going to on Saturday/Monday, but there was a little delay and then stuff happened and I postponed it till today, for a very good reason, as you shall see. Also worth noting probably is that this is the 20th post on Da Wazgarg Rokkaz. A small anniversary, but an important one nonetheless. Somehow I'm able to keep cluttering this little corner of the interwarpz with my ramblings and pictures despite various swings in mood and resulting productive output. Over 3600 views were accumulated since I started in late May, which I have no idea if it's a significant number, considering I only applied to Natfka's banner roll. That's not important though. What's important, is that there seems to be a handful of people who like my work enough to keep checking back every once in a while. I would hereby like to thank you all for this silent encouragement. Furthermore, I would also like to thank Greg and Tim for not so silent encouragement by leaving feedback in my comment section, glad to have you guys here.

Okay, that seems to have turned into a bit of a summary post, which makes sense, seeing as I'm writing it on the last day of 2015. But enough's enough, time for the good stuff and pictures.


The big trukk is pretty much finished, as far as the major things go. I might add a separate reinforced ram, as the current one is attached permanently, but that's it. Finished the last of extra armour panels and added some chain to tie down the stowage. I might just be growing up to the decision to finally glue the engine on along with the exhaust stacks so I can add the mounting brackets and connect the driveshaft.

The trukk now has a set of six extra armour panels. I have to admit I'm particularly happy about how nicely the front pair filled the empty space, improving the overall look greatly. To celebrate, I decided to check how many boyz can be crammed onto the flatbed. It would seem the maximum is seven, plus one nob on a larger base. Add to that the driver and a gunner, and it can carry a whopping eleven boyz in total, half of the mob being built. Some of that capacity will be sacrificed by installing extra gubbinz such as wrecking balls or boarding planks, but seems like a pretty good result anyway.


The frontal armour plates got a railing to help the driver climb aboard, while the rear ones got a set of spikes. I'm contemplating adding some magnetised spikes and blades to other areas, also for the sake of representing the upgrade and the chance of it being blown off.


Other minor additions included a set of gauges from a broken deffkopta handlebars and a set of ignition cables. There might be still other details added, such as some extra stowage on the sides, or some scuffs and scratches on the side armour and the front, but apart from that I'm ready to call this one done. Apart from weapons which will be done simultaneously once all four vehicles are finished.


Furthermore, as you might have notices by now, the photo quality has improved greatly. That is because I have finally gotten around to building myself a lightbox. A pretty solid one at that, while quite simple to make. I checked my local home improvement store's website and found those lamps are waaay cheaper than I thought. This, combined with them having a handy mounting bracket gave me a spark of motivation to go there and buy all the parts needed. The frame is made out of 1/2" PVC plumbing pipe and the diffusing screens are an unused bedsheet. Combined with some cable (the lamps don't come with one), a switch, plug and some connectors to split the cable to all three lamps it turned into this neat 60x40x40cm lightbox. The pipes are such a tight fit that they stay together without any glue, meaning I can take it apart for storage or modify the layout at any time. The backgrounds are mounted by having two screws in the back, with holse punched in the sheets.



Overall a pretty simple and cheap setup to make, yet makes a tremendous difference in photo quality, while also allowing me to snap photos at any time with consistent lighting without having to worry about ambient light conditions. Which is an expecially huge plus during the winter.


And that is all for this rather lenghty post and for the year 2015. Thank you for being here and see you again in 2016, hopefully the year when I finally complete a 1850 points Ork army and begin other exctiting projects.

5 comments:

  1. Cheers and happy New year! Nice light box, I could really use one of those,but I have space limitations. The truck looks great, very original. I forgot about the figures you did for this. They're pretty inventive as well. Your client should be very happy. Crazy that people still play GoMo. I'd love to but no one I game with has any interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers and happy New year! Nice light box, I could really use one of those,but I have space limitations. The truck looks great, very original. I forgot about the figures you did for this. They're pretty inventive as well. Your client should be very happy. Crazy that people still play GoMo. I'd love to but no one I game with has any interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, sorry, but could you tell me where you get such textured leaves that you use on the side panels of the armor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no problem at all. The textured parts are sheet plasticard, just like everything else. I bought it at an online in Poland, since I live here, however, they are not that easy to find here. I'd suggest looking on ebay with phrases like "textured plasticard" or "textured styrene", adding the manufacturer name, either Plastruct or Evergreen. You could also try shops for railroad modellers, they usually should have it.
      Hope I helped!

      Delete
  4. Hi, sorry, but could you tell me where you get such textured leaves that you use on the side panels of the armor?

    ReplyDelete