Tuesday, 29 March 2016

Gorkamorka kommishun - ackshuly not ded yet

Eeh, I don't really know what to start with. Apart from the fact that I'm pretty pissed about taking three months since the last post and having almost no progress to show for it, when I actually wanted to be done with this project by the end of March. But I'm really bad at judging how much time stuff will take me to do. Finishing up my last semester of uni and my thesis paper afterwards took longer to wrap up than I thought. On the plus side, it means I am now done with school and in theory can focus all my time on hobby related stuff. What's more, it means I'm at that point in life where I should make a decision regarding my future plans. And I really would like to try and see if I could get anywhere with miniatures and related stuff. I feel like there's still a plenty of niches yet to be filled that I could tackle. As a result of entrepreneurship classes this semester we were supposed to write up a business plan and I unless I was way off, it seems like it could maybe work out. If it doesn't, there's not a ton of investment involved and I could simply proceed to apply for master's degree course of some sort next year. I just want a break after all the years of education to try and go for some of the many plans and ideas I kept having for the past year or two. However, while I think I'm capable of putting out quality stuff (mostly according to others, my self esteem isn't really that high in regard to anything) it's the pace at which I can do that that concerns me mostly. If it's gonna go anywhere near as good as this project, I might as well not bother at all.

But enough of that, let's cover the stuff I've done since last post. Starting with Gorkamorka, since that should be the focus right now, I might actually keep the rest for another post.

Yep, work has started on the second trukk. Actually, it did somewhere in January, when I laid out the wheels, flatbed and front bumper on the cutting mat and figured out the general layout of things. It then sat there and taunted me while I kept trying to get my thesis done as soon as possible.

The idea here is a hot-rod style trukk, low, wedge-shaped and speedy looking, with the center-mounted engine being a subtle throwback to the original Gorkamorka trukk. Trying not to get too carried away with scratchbuilding as I usually do, I attempted to use as many parts from the trukk kit as possible (I was given them for a reason)

After getting the wheelbase and rough placements of all the components I made the chassis rails out of plasticard and glued them to the trukk flatbed. The rear axle had the drop parts removed, was made longer and attached to the frame with a pair of leaf springs cut off from the other trukk frame that will make a basis for the second buggy later. The cab floor had the driver half cut off and moved forward to match the gunner side, so that enough room for the engine was left. Front bumper is a leftover from the big trakk. Fuel tank is based on two Tamiya barrels, with warbike fender and dakkagun mount, along with two choppa blades in the front.

The cab was then built up with body panels made from armour plate halves and the driver was added, with his feet slightly shaved down along with the seat supports to make him more reclined. The steering wheel arm is the same combo as on the buggy with the wheel made of three wires twisted together tightly.

The standard trukk engine had the gearbox cut off, the halves were glued together at an angle to make it more massive (an idea I looted from CrayolaSmoker's wrecka trukk over on Da WAAAGH!) and the gearbox was glued back on. The air intake/soopacharga is a stormboy rokkit pack intake, some plasticard tubing, a shoulder pad, two deffkopta exhausts I found in one of the bitz bags I once purchased along with greenstuff hoses I made with my newly purchased Toob Tool. Simply had to find a way to play around with it. The fuel tank assembly was also detailed with two hoses.

At this point I'm putting together the front suspension/steering so that I can finally have it all holding together without the cutting mat so that I can progress onto finishing up the engine and expanding the flatbed.

And that wraps it up for the first post of 2016. Hopefully the year when I get way more done than I have since picking up this hobby, posts are weekly and I manage to make my plans and hopes come true. Thanks for reading and see you next time!


  1. We all have our stuff Mike! I haven't done any hobby since dreadtober! That engine looks amazing btw!

  2. YES! So excited to see another blog post!!!

    Awesome start here. Really stellar stuff. I wanted to share with you what I am working on, check this out: