Monday, 7 September 2015

Gorkamorka kommishun - goin' sumwere

Yes, that time of the week again. The time when I should have tons of stuff to post. Obviously I have nowhere near as much as I'd like to. Everything goes slower than I want it to, except for the moments when it stops going at all, like yesterday, when I spent the whole day banging my head against my desk trying to figure out what to do with the trakk's front. I did eventually figure something out today and made some meager progress. Still no idea if I like it or not, but if I keep going I'll eventually end up at the point where it's not really feasible to go back.

Here it is then, week's worth of progress on the trukk. Got most of the engine done, bar a ton of details, sorted out front frame and suspension and started on the bodywork of sorts. This thing turned out to be big. Like, really big, way bigger than a standard 40k trukk, it's at least battlewagon-sized. Which I'm overall happy with, as vehicles in 40k are smaller scale than the infantry, meaning this thing is reasonably close to how big an actual big Ork trukk should be in relation to the orkz themselves.

I also took a few WIP pictures as I went, so you can have a glimpse at how the thing was built up. First, the engine. Started by chopping off the transmission off a standard trukk engine, and glued it to a resin block I made for myself a while ago and luckily had one extra copy cast.

After putting those 3 parts together I started building up the detail, mostly using rectangular and square plasticard profiles, with some tubes for the air intakes and small channels for extra detail.

The frame is simply two 2mm plasticard strips pinned to the resin body, with a L-profile connecting them where the front engine ends, placed to fit snugly and a rectangular shape connecting the suspension parts for extra durability. The suspension was taken from the big trakk as well, with simple shocks added to the top. The belt is two 0,25mm strips glued together. Makes them retain shape better than a single thicker strip.

The front is for now just a bunch of profiles and sheets and looks somewhat awkwardly modern and un-orky, but hopefully that will be solved by adding a ton of junk, welds and rivets to it. I might have been slightly going off the classic Gorkamorka trukk designs, trying to combine it with whatever else came to mind. Here's how the whole thing looks from the side

And from the front. Dunno. Feels like I'm struggling with shapes and proportions.

That's it for this week's update (sadly). Thanks for dropping by, see you next week.

1 comment:

  1. Just loving it Mike! If you don't like the proportions, throw another set of wheels behind the front ones (to fill that gap). See how it looks!